Skirting the Rules

11:23 AM

When it comes to meeting new people and networking, I've taken Kate Spade's advice and started to "skirt the rules." I am here to tell you that meeting new and very interesting people doesn't just have to happen through a mutual friend or at a networking event. In fact, some of the connections I am the most blown away by happened in ways that are far beyond the normal 'rules' for how and when you can talk to someone you don't know. So, I invite you to 'skirt the rules' with me, and who knows, maybe you'll end up wearing a Kate Spade skirt or dress through it all like I did. And if that's not reason enough to try my suggestions I don't know what is!

This specific story of connection begins as I was preparing to attend the Massachusetts Women's Conference. I knew a conference with thousands of women who were talking about innovation and leadership would be the perfect place to meet some pretty neat, new people. As I was preparing for the conference, I knew I wanted to be able to seamlessly share my contact information so I could easily stay in touch with whomever I met. And given that I could always use some organization help, it seemed like a business card holder was just what I needed.

Tip: When networking, be sure to get their business card or contact information as well. This allows you to be able to reach out as well, rather than leave the connection only in their hands.

Kate Spade instantly came to mind, and after a quick phone call to Newbury Street here in Boston, my Let's Do Lunch card holder was waiting for me to pick up on my way home.

(I'm also quite in love with the Kate Spade fox phone case)

This perfect little card holder fits right in my wallet, and has made appearances everywhere from the conference, to at the end of a flight after chatting with the person sitting next to me. All through having my card with me, I have met a new friend who also moved to Boston, a woman who was interested in further business conversations, a college student who connected with my grandfather who works in a similar field, and was able to exchange information with another who lives in Boston and has a daughter my same age. They gave feedback that it was notable that I could exchange my info that quickly, and I'm not sure any of these connections I would have stayed in touch with had it not been for that trusty card holder.

The best part? It didn't stop there. I thank my card holder for the connection I made while I went to the store to pick it up as well. On the way to the register, I was perusing the bright colors and playful patterns that is a Kate Spade store, and my mind traveled to twirling around in one of these dresses at my company holiday party.

Kimber, the store manager, happened to be the gal I had talked to on the phone to put it on hold, and we had chatted about store events etc. Luckily, she was still in store, and we continued to chat as I was preparing to buy my much anticipated card holder. As we were talking, I asked if she knew any way to find a great deal on a Kate Spade dress. Little did I know, my deal would only involve a trip to the tailor and dry cleaner.

With the true Kate Spade spirit, she quickly offered up one of her dresses, as they "needed to get out more anyway and not just sit in the closet." The perfect dress, with the perfect bow and twirly skirt, that even had pockets, was now mine to wear for a night out of dancing with Mon Chou, after just a few temporary stitches. And a perfect evening it was.



 I'm not quite sure how I got lucky enough that Kimber picked up the phone that afternoon, that she was still in the shop when I walked in hours later, or that she was generous enough to share her dress with me for an evening. I do know that when you "skirt the rules" and chat with people in all situations, you never know the people you might meet or the exciting (and colorful) things that might come from it.

Happy chatting,
T

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe