Dunkin Donuts is Sweeter Than You Think

6:59 PM

I think most all of us can appreciate a good Dunkin' Donuts donut. And if you're really looking for some sugary goodness, the Cookie Dough iced coffee is back now, which I would highly recommend, (but also have to caution you might get the case of the giggles after all of that sugar.) We all might consider ourselves fans by picking up our morning coffee on the way to work, but the award for Dunkin's biggest fan? My cousin Ryan has us all beat.


Ryan is the most loyal Dunkin' Donuts fan I have met. In fact, his refusal to eat any donut but Dunkin's puts the loyal coffee drinkers to shame. This past Christmas, I was back in the great state of Texas, and Ryan and I experienced a trip to Dunkin' that both made my holiday, and is something I won't forget. The month of April is Autism Awareness Month, and I was reminded of that trip to Dunkin' and what it taught me, as Ryan is Autistic. I've tried a lot of different ways to start to write this post, as I wanted share this sweet message that I came across in reflecting, in hopes that is will spread a little farther than myself. Autism is something that so deeply affects an individual and their family, to the point that those of us who aren't in those shoes will never be able to fully comprehend. But I do think we can open our hearts and minds to those who are living with Autism to be of greater support and understanding. That is my hope with this post.



Over this particular holiday, Ryan was recovering from a very large surgery that left both of his legs in full casts. He was quite the trooper, and before we knew it, he was buzzing around the house in his wheel chair. But as we were preparing to have our big Christmas meal and open presents, it seemed there might be one thing that could make Ryan's morning just a bit better: a trip to Dunkin' Donuts.

After calling around to a few different locations, we found, to our surprise, that Dunkin' was open that morning. We had about a half hour before our breakfast would be done, so I quick grabbed my UCONN t-shirt, the shorts I had slept in would do the trick, and most likely brushed my teeth (to keep Ryan and I alive in the car.) It was a perfect clear morning in Dallas, and Ryan and I drove along with the windows down, listening to music, and enjoying the ride together. A smile started to crack as we pulled into the drive through, and soon enough our donuts, hash browns, and my much needed iced coffee were in hand.

I realize in reflecting on that morning that it was all about the simple things. How Ryan handed me my phone after it slid into the back seat. The little glances of excitement we shared through the rear view mirror over our treats. Taking time to notice the beautiful day, and how nice that Texas breeze felt coming through the windows. How Ryan seemed truly happy with his favorite treat.



You see, for someone with Autism, moments both big and small can often be overwhelming. For that individual's family, while in a different way, life can be overwhelming. But in seeing Ryan, and his family, and all of the difficulties they face every day, I see something shining through.

 I see a mom with the biggest heart who gives her life for her son, her family, and her friends. I see a dad, also with a loving heart, who works extremely hard to take care of his family, and still finds ways for them to all enjoy time together. I see a sister with a beautiful old soul, who sees far beyond the day to days of high school, who would do anything for her brother. I see a strong and brave thirteen year old boy who is getting ready to go to high school, who has shared so much with the people around him.

Ryan has a strong message that he shares with all of us, and I think it is a message a lot of people need to hear. When Ryan comes in to snuggle in the morning, I'm reminded of the precious moments we share with those we hold close to us. When I see Ryan, an incredible swimmer, floating in the pool with a smile on his face, I'm reminded of peace. And when I see the happiness that comes to Ryan when we see that pink and orange building ahead, I am reminded of the power of a sweet little donut.

In honor of Autism Awareness Month, I ask that you share this message, be kind to those you know who are affected by autism, and learn from what Ryan teaches us all, to enjoy the little things.





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe